Highbury fire: Elderly man hospitalised after flat block blaze in Aberdeen Park
PUBLISHED: 15:46 29 May 2018 | UPDATED: 16:52 29 May 2018
An elderly man was hospitalised and two people had to be rescued after a fire in Highbury this morning.
The blaze, in a block of flats in Aberdeen Park, is said to have been caused by unattended candles in a bedroom.
Four fire engines and 21 crew members were called at 5am.
An elderly man left the property before the brigade arrived. He was taken to hospital by London Ambulance Service crews.
Smoke travelled through the block and affected the upstairs property through an open balcony window.
A woman and a man were rescued by firefighters from the second floor flat using a short ladder. Three further adults were led to safety by the internal staircase.
Around 15 people had left the block before the brigade arrived.
The fire was under control about an hour later, just before 6.15am. Fire crews from Islington, Holloway and Stoke Newington fire stations were at the scene.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Islington Gazette. Click the link in the orange box below for details.