Highbury gymnast sets 2012 somersault challenge
A 12-year-old gymnast has set herself the challenge of completing 2,012 somersaults in the first two months of this year for charity.
Aasha Kimpton, who lives off Liverpool Road, Highbury, aims to reach 250 somersaults a week to raise money for the Joanna Brown Trust, which encourages involvement in sport and has supported her in her hobby for three years.
She hopes to make �250 in sponsorship for her challenge which will see her somersaulting on the floor as well as while balancing on a 10cm-wide beam and on the bar.
The St Mary Magdalene Academy pupil, who is the youngest of three children, started gymnastics at the age of four and now trains for 22 hours a week at espoir level at Heathrow Gymnastic Club in Hounslow.
Having already gained a number of medals in competitions – including bronze at the English Championships last year – Aasha hopes to compete for Great Britain at senior level in the future.
Her mother Nicole said: “As a single parent and full-time carer of my son, it has been difficult to support Aasha’s training. We have been very lucky to have help from her clubs as well as from the Joanna Brown Trust and Sport Islington.
“There are many young athletes in a similar position whose families struggle to help them achieve and give them a positive start in their lives, which is why Aasha wanted to raise money for the Joanna Brown Trust so they can help someone else live their dream.”
- 1 Teenage Highbury Fields fatal stabbing victim named by police
- 2 'All I could see was the water coming up': Clean-up begins after Holloway flooding
- 3 'Like a tsunami': Burst water main floods Islington street
- 4 Murder investigation after teenager stabbed in Islington park
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Hospital trust increasingly reliant on international medical staff
- 7 'Extremely distressing': Council leader's shock after Highbury Fields stabbing
- 8 Polio virus found in Islington sewage
- 9 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 10 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
n To sponsor Aasha visit http://aasha-kimpton.webs.com/2012for2012.htm