Highbury pensioners given ‘royal’ cake to celebrate Queen’s Diamond Jubilee
A group of OAPs were given a Jubilee surprise when a special cake was delivered to their Highbury lunch club in honour of the Queen’s birthday, which was on Saturday.
The pensioners at Highbury New Park Day Centre, in Highbury New Park, tucked into the Victoria sponge at their regular dinner on Friday.
The cake was created by baker Cynthia Akinsania, who has her own cake-making business – Delight By Cynthia.
She said: “I made my first cake on the Queen’s Birthday in the jubilee year, 35 years ago, so I wanted to mark the occasion in the Diamond jubilee year by doing something nice.
“They all seemed really chuffed when it turned up.”
You may also want to watch:
Lloyd Coombes, manager of the centre, said: “A lot of our members were around for the coronation as well as the silver jubilee, so it was nice for them to reminisce.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 7 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 8 New pub opens in place of The Monarch in Chalk Farm Road
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire