Highbury pensioners given ‘royal’ cake to celebrate Queen’s Diamond Jubilee
A group of OAPs were given a Jubilee surprise when a special cake was delivered to their Highbury lunch club in honour of the Queen’s birthday, which was on Saturday.
The pensioners at Highbury New Park Day Centre, in Highbury New Park, tucked into the Victoria sponge at their regular dinner on Friday.
The cake was created by baker Cynthia Akinsania, who has her own cake-making business – Delight By Cynthia.
She said: “I made my first cake on the Queen’s Birthday in the jubilee year, 35 years ago, so I wanted to mark the occasion in the Diamond jubilee year by doing something nice.
“They all seemed really chuffed when it turned up.”
Lloyd Coombes, manager of the centre, said: “A lot of our members were around for the coronation as well as the silver jubilee, so it was nice for them to reminisce.”
- 1 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 2 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 3 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 4 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 5 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 8 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 10 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'