Highbury Slimming World group donates 40 bags of clothes for Cancer Research UK
- Credit: Archant
A Highbury Slimming World group donated 40 bags full of clothes in support of Cancer Research UK.
The garments given away by members of the Islington Central Methodists Church sessions will raise about £1,200 for the charity when they are re-sold.
Debbie Thomas, who lives on the Holly Park Estate in Crouch Hill, launched the classes in January thinking a few people would turn up, but arrived to find 130 people queuing down the street.
Since then the group has lost a combined weight of 99 stone, and Debbie is now having to put on extra classes every Monday at 3.30pm.
“I was absolutely delighted by the way my group supported the campaign and the amount of clothes they donated,” said Debbie.
You may also want to watch:
“We all benefit from the work Cancer Research UK do and I myself am a cancer survivor. I couldn’t be more proud of our members.”
Debbie’s classes also run at 5.30pm and 7.30pm on Monday’s at the Palmer Place church and cost £4.95 a week.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey