Highgate Harriers are moving up the table in Southern League
Athletics: Highgate Harriers are moving up the table in Southern League Division Two North after beating three of the teams who were above them in Saturday’s meeting.
The combined men’s and women’s team amassed 222 points at Parliament Hill on Hampstead Heath, overcoming Oxford City, Newham & Essex Beagles and Peterborough.
Mehran Sanei threw 47.55 in the javelin, challenging for the record for an Over-40 Harrier, and veteran James Rossiter won the B category.
Simon Child triumphed in the 400m hurdles, while Gemma Rous was victorious in the women’s equivalent, as well as the 100m hurdles. Over-40 veteran champion Nina Anderson also won her 400m race with a season’s best of 58.2 seconds.
Anderson picked up more useful points by winning the B javelin and narrowly finishing second in the 200m, while Alima Diabate placed second in the 100m with a personal best and also won the B high jump.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Dore-Weeks also showed his versatility by winning the pole vault (2.70m) and the 400m hurdles B event, while coming second in the 110m hurdles and B high jump. Also clearing 2.70m was Highgate’s Under-17 B pole vault winner Valentin Ricod.
Meanwhile, Under-20 Emmanuel Olatunji raced to victories in both the 100m and 200m, clocking 11.3 and 23.1 respectively, as well as coming second in the high jump and long jump.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 4 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 5 Joe Montemurro says he expects Vivianne Miedema to stay at Arsenal
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 8 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 9 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 10 Reaction from winners of Islington by-elections
Finbarr Ricketts showed he is approaching his top form again, winning the 200m B and 400m, and Gabriel Springer recorded a notable victory in the B 400m.
Ryan McKinlay was part of the triumphant 4x400m team and won the 2,000m steeplechase, while Pierce Boyle took maximum points in the B equivalent.
Highgate accrued two second-place finishes in the 5,000m through Rob Wilson and Brahma Pochee in the B string, with Jenny Holmes taking the runner-up spot in the triple jump.