Highgate Harriers crowned national champions at UK 10k road race championships
Highgate Harriers were crowned national champions on Sunday as the prestigious UK 10k road race championships were held as part of the 30th anniversary of the Age UK Leeds Abbey Dash.
There were 121 men’s teams in action, with the combined times of their top three runners deciding the places.
Highgate’s Andy Maud was fifth overall in 29 minutes 57 seconds, while Shaun Dixon was 17th in 30:28 and Chris Rainsford came 36th in 30:59.
That gave the Harriers a total time of 1:31:21, putting them fractionally ahead of Bristol & West AC (1:31:31), Morpeth Harriers (1:31:41) and Shettlestone Harriers (1:31:59).
A total of 1,500 men took part and Highgate’s Rob Wilson also finished well, coming 107th in 32:27, ahead of Robel Bahelbi (125th in 32:42) and Peter Hawkings (33:05).
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, Highgate’s women came second out of 81 teams in their event. Hannah Viner (35:59), Ashley Scott Wilson (35.59) and Emma Burgess (38.57) gave the Harriers a combined time of 1:50:55, leaving them just behind winners Leeds (1:45:11).
Elsewhere, London Heathside won both the men’s and women’s team titles at the North London Cross-country Championships on Saturday. Highgate only had one runner in the top 12 places in the men’s race, with Jon Laybourn (29:23) coming second out of 182.
- 1 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 2 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 7 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Increased police presence in Islington after teenager shot in the head