Highgate Harriers’ Danny Russell wins British London 10k road race
Highgate Harriers’ Danny Russell, who recently became the European triathlon champion in the 30-35 age group, followed that success by coming first out of almost 16,000 runners in the British London 10k road race.
Russell, who recently came second in the Lord Mayor of Norwich road race, moved clear of the Frenchman Jeremy Pignard and Windsor’s Tom Payn just after the halfway mark to win in 31 minutes 10 seconds ahead of Pignard (31:14) and Payn (31:18).
Meanwhile, Highgate came third in the fourth of their five matches in Division Three North of the Southern Athletics League at Perivale on Saturday.
It was exceedingly close affair, with Dartford Harriers coming out on top with 271 points, Ealing, Southall & Middlesex finishing just behind them with 265 and Highgate coming third with 261.5.
However, provided the Harriers can field their strongest team, they should have no difficulty winning the final match at Parliament Hill Fields on August 10, which would probably put them among the top four clubs in the table for promotion to Division Two.
You may also want to watch:
Gwen Thornton had a busy afternoon, coming first in the 400m A-string race in 60.5 seconds, first in the javelin B with 24.90m and second in the B discus with 18m, as well as running in the sprint relay.
Jenny Holmes won the B long jump with 4.27m and came second in the 200m B race (28.8), while Alima Diabate was the runner-up in the 100m A-string race (13.4).
- 1 Islington's John Ryder heads to Texas for big fight
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Highbury restaurant joins 'recipes against racism' campaign
- 6 Row over ‘underhanded’ approach derails Amazon Fresh store opening
- 7 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 8 Arsenal midfielder Jill Roord reported to be on Wolfsburg's radar
- 9 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 10 'Belated greenwash'?: Campaigners slam Ocado's delivery hub consultation
Under-20 runner Hannah Viner shattered her personal best in the 800m A race, coming second in 2:18.2 and she won the 1500m A in 4:57.0.
Sophie Sheldrake, the daughter of former Highgate distance runner John, won the B 3,000m (12:58.6) and came second in the B 1500m (5:31.1), while Helena Roberts was second in the A high jump (1.45).