Holloway art exhibition shows ‘anything is possible’ for women who have suffered violence
- Credit: Archant
An “inspiring” photography show by female victims of violence helped recover their confidence, its organiser has said.
The Blue Skies exhibition in Islington Arts Factory, Holloway, is in the middle of a three-week residency.
It features the work of women who have suffered the consequences of violence, from sexual to domestic.
Brought together for weekly sessions by arts charity Spare Tyre and Solace Women’s Aid, the artists were encouraged to follow their perpective of the world.
One of the women said: “I felt very inspired and free. People who have experienced violence often alternate between seeing themselves either as victims or survivors. In this group we could begin to see ourselves as both of these but also as creators.
You may also want to watch:
And Arti Prashar, who helped organise the exhibition, said: “They were given lots of confidence to see the world in a different way. I was interested in promoting transformation, which is where the words ‘blue skies’ came in: to suggest anything is possible.
“It was about saying to the women: ‘Whatever you believe in is valid.’ And that manifested itself in the work on show. What was particularly inspiring was their keen eye for the little details.”
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 7 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
The exhibition ends next Friday (April 1). Visit Islington Arts Factory in 2, Parkhurst Road, Holloway.