Holloway art exhibition shows ‘anything is possible’ for women who have suffered violence
- Credit: Archant
An “inspiring” photography show by female victims of violence helped recover their confidence, its organiser has said.
The Blue Skies exhibition in Islington Arts Factory, Holloway, is in the middle of a three-week residency.
It features the work of women who have suffered the consequences of violence, from sexual to domestic.
Brought together for weekly sessions by arts charity Spare Tyre and Solace Women’s Aid, the artists were encouraged to follow their perpective of the world.
One of the women said: “I felt very inspired and free. People who have experienced violence often alternate between seeing themselves either as victims or survivors. In this group we could begin to see ourselves as both of these but also as creators.
And Arti Prashar, who helped organise the exhibition, said: “They were given lots of confidence to see the world in a different way. I was interested in promoting transformation, which is where the words ‘blue skies’ came in: to suggest anything is possible.
“It was about saying to the women: ‘Whatever you believe in is valid.’ And that manifested itself in the work on show. What was particularly inspiring was their keen eye for the little details.”
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
- 3 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 4 Shops encouraged to become 'safe havens' to make Islington safer for women
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 Haringey first council to call for Edmonton incinerator pause
- 7 Islington pub Alpaca wins lockdown service award
- 8 Winter Toy Appeal launches to help London children in poverty
- 9 Family of missing Islington man make urgent appeal for information
- 10 Man dies after two people found in Regent's Canal near Angel
The exhibition ends next Friday (April 1). Visit Islington Arts Factory in 2, Parkhurst Road, Holloway.