Holloway community centre thriving after finding new lease of life
A community centre on the brink of closure last year is now thriving and is preparing to celebrate with a huge summer event.
The facility on the Loraine Estate off Holloway Road , Holloway, had been struggling to find enough committee members for years – until the Gazette ran an appeal for volunteers in November.
Chairman Ros Warmington said: “We had several new committee members at the AGM who are still with us and we are planning a ‘summer’ event – to take place this Saturday.
“For the time being, the future of the centre is much brighter and with all the new energy, ideas, skills and experience, it looks like it could be an exciting time ahead.”
The July Jamboree event on Saturday will include salsa dancing and drumming workshops run by new committee member Rafael Ayala and his not-for-profit organisation, Music For Life, which has also been running free salsa workshops at the centre on Thursday nights since April.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be food from local restaurants, a barbecue, a bouncy castle and other children’s games and activities. The event is from 2pm until 7pm.
- 1 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 6 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal