Holloway community centre thriving after finding new lease of life
A community centre on the brink of closure last year is now thriving and is preparing to celebrate with a huge summer event.
The facility on the Loraine Estate off Holloway Road , Holloway, had been struggling to find enough committee members for years – until the Gazette ran an appeal for volunteers in November.
Chairman Ros Warmington said: “We had several new committee members at the AGM who are still with us and we are planning a ‘summer’ event – to take place this Saturday.
“For the time being, the future of the centre is much brighter and with all the new energy, ideas, skills and experience, it looks like it could be an exciting time ahead.”
The July Jamboree event on Saturday will include salsa dancing and drumming workshops run by new committee member Rafael Ayala and his not-for-profit organisation, Music For Life, which has also been running free salsa workshops at the centre on Thursday nights since April.
You may also want to watch:
There will also be food from local restaurants, a barbecue, a bouncy castle and other children’s games and activities. The event is from 2pm until 7pm.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London