Holloway cyclist embarks on charity challenge
A cyclist is gearing up for a mammoth charity bike ride encompassing five capital cities across Britain and Ireland.
Ben Lawrence, 26, will begin his quest outside his home in Berriman Road, Holloway, on Saturday before setting off on the three week trek.
Mr Lawrence will cycle more than 900 miles across the British Isles in the hope of reaching a target of �1,500 for Cancer Research UK, a charity which has personal significance to him.
He said: “A few people I know have been quite badly affected by cancer.
“My girlfriend’s grandmother is currently suffering from breast cancer, so that’s a big reason behind doing this.”
You may also want to watch:
The route, devised by Mr Lawrence, will take in the five capital cities of Britain and Ireland.
- 1 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 2 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 3 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 4 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 5 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 6 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 7 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 8 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 9 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 10 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
He starts in London and rides to Cardiff, Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh before returning to London on August 22.
Mr Lawrence, a keen cyclist who rode from Newcastle to Dublin in 2007, is optimistic ahead of this latest challenge, despite the daunting task of having to average 60 miles per day.
He said: “I’m a bit nervous, but I’m also confident, it should be really fun. I’m sure the pain barrier will kick in at some point but it’s for a great cause so that will motivate me to push on.”
To make a donation visit www.5capitalscycle.moonfruit.com which will also feature a daily video diary detailing his experiences.