Holloway disability charity gets �20k Secret Millionaire boost
A WEALTHY businesswoman worked undercover with a charity which helps disabled people - and gave �20,000 to the organisation.
Lyn Cecil donated cash to Centre 404 in Camden Road, Holloway, after appearing in Channel Four’s Secret Millionaire.
Centre 404, which is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, works with more than 1,000 disabled people of ages running after school clubs, evening leisure activities, trips and garden projects
Lyn pretended to be a volunteer and helped the charity for several days before revealing her millionaire status and handing over the cash sum.
Linda McGowan, the chief executive of Centre 404, said: “We were clueless and just thought it was a documentary about volunteers. We were really shocked to have been chosen and couldn’t believe who Lyn was.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s a real threat to our funding for leisure clubs and there are few organizations running evening classes for people with learning disabilities. The majority of the money will be spent on continuing the leisure projects. The remaining �2,000 will be spent on family carers treating them with beauty therapy and massages and we are staging a health and well being day on June 16.”
Centre 404 volunteer Jean Wilson, of Cornelia Street, Islington, said: “I was gobsmacked. It touched my heart to think that someone was thinking about family carers.”
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 Landlord of Tollington Arms - popular with Arsenal fans - faces eviction
Lyn, owner of Secretaries Plus in Bond Street, also gave money to the Caledonian Over 55s Lunch Club.
She also donated a �27,000 cheque to the Islington Community Theatre in North Road, Holloway, after spending a week working undercover with the young actors.
The programme is due to be aired on Tuesday (May 17) at 9pm on Channel Four.