Holloway disability charity gets �20k Secret Millionaire boost
A WEALTHY businesswoman worked undercover with a charity which helps disabled people - and gave �20,000 to the organisation.
Lyn Cecil donated cash to Centre 404 in Camden Road, Holloway, after appearing in Channel Four’s Secret Millionaire.
Centre 404, which is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, works with more than 1,000 disabled people of ages running after school clubs, evening leisure activities, trips and garden projects
Lyn pretended to be a volunteer and helped the charity for several days before revealing her millionaire status and handing over the cash sum.
Linda McGowan, the chief executive of Centre 404, said: “We were clueless and just thought it was a documentary about volunteers. We were really shocked to have been chosen and couldn’t believe who Lyn was.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s a real threat to our funding for leisure clubs and there are few organizations running evening classes for people with learning disabilities. The majority of the money will be spent on continuing the leisure projects. The remaining �2,000 will be spent on family carers treating them with beauty therapy and massages and we are staging a health and well being day on June 16.”
Centre 404 volunteer Jean Wilson, of Cornelia Street, Islington, said: “I was gobsmacked. It touched my heart to think that someone was thinking about family carers.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 5 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 6 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
- 7 Mum-of-two 'loses everything' in Islington fire
- 8 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Statue to street cat Bob unveiled in Islington Green
Lyn, owner of Secretaries Plus in Bond Street, also gave money to the Caledonian Over 55s Lunch Club.
She also donated a �27,000 cheque to the Islington Community Theatre in North Road, Holloway, after spending a week working undercover with the young actors.
The programme is due to be aired on Tuesday (May 17) at 9pm on Channel Four.