Holloway gym manager running marathon in memory of sister and newphew
- Credit: Archant
A gym manager will be running the London Marathon in memory of his sister and nephew who died in 2010 during childbirth.
Richard Bell, 33, who runs PureGym in Holloway Road, Upper Holloway, will be taking part in the event for the second year in a row with the hope of raising £5,000 for Action on Pre-eclampsia (APEC).
He tragically lost his youngest sister Annemaria – who was 25 years old – and his nephew, Alfie, during childbirth due to the devastating disease which can affect pregnant women.
Speaking ahead of the marathon, Mr Bell, of Vauxhall, said: “Action on Pre-eclampsia is an incredibly important charity to me. Raising money for them is my way of keeping my sister and nephew’s memory alive.
“Because it is such a small charity it’s great to be able to help them in the incredible work they do.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bell will be running the marathon with his best friend Louis who was with him all the way last year. The two of them ran the marathon in four hours 30 minutes, raising £4,500 in the process, and they are both looking to improve their times to four hours after training since the beginning of January.
Pre-eclampsia affects up to 10 per cent of pregnancies and leads to the death of 1,000 babies and six women each year in the UK. APEC aims to raise awareness, improve care and ease suffering caused by this potentially devastating condition.
- 1 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 2 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 5 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 6 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 7 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 10 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
n To donate to Richard’s Just Giving page visit: https://www.justgiving.com/Richard-Bell9