Holloway mother died of drug overdose
A former crack and heroin addict who had tried to turn her life around died of an accidental overdose, leaving a baby son, a court heard Monday.
Elaine Cagehin, 41, from Axminster Road, Holloway, leaves her young son without a mother after she was killed by a cocktail of methadone, valium and alcohol which her diseased liver was unable to process.
She was found dead by her partner Martin Dean on May 13 at his house in nearby Marlborough Road. He told St Pancras Coroner’s Court he had begged paramedics to save her life as blood was coming out of her lungs.
Ms Cagehin had battled drug and alcohol addiction for many years, but her condition before her death was described as stable by her nurse.
Her mother Christine Deasy, now the boy’s legal guardian, said she had no idea of the extent of her daughter’s battle with substance abuse.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I didn’t realise she had anything to do with drugs – we hadn’t heard from Elaine for quite a few years.
“Social services wrote a letter to us asking us to get in touch and then we found out she had a son.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 3 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 4 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 5 Spot the '90s pop stars in the Never Mind the Buzzcocks identity parade
- 6 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 7 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 10 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
“He was six months old and had spent five months in hospital due to Elaine’s drug addiction – that’s when I knew.”
Both Ms Cagehin’s partner and the nurse said she had been on top of her drug problem and sticking to her prescribed methadone, although diazepam was found in her system.
Mr Dean said: “I wasn’t aware of her using any other drugs. It must have been behind our back.
“We were watching a film when I crashed out on the couch. At about 4am I woke up and she was lying on her side. She didn’t look comfortable so I went to move her. When I turned her over I saw her lips were a funny colour.
“I called the ambulance and when they came I begged them not to stop. They carried on, but blood was coming out of her lungs, so they called it.”
The coroner, Dr Shirley Radcliffe, recorded a verdict of accidental death.