Holloway performance artist shortlisted for prestigious book award
A performer from Holloway who spent more than a decade compiling works portraying life with mental-illness has been recognised by a major charity.
Bobby Baker, 60, who lives in Georges Road, Holloway, has written the book Diary Drawings: Mental Illness and Me, which has been shortlisted for Mind’s Book of the Year Award 2011.
The book comprises of 158 drawings detailing her difficult journey to recovery after she was diagnosed with a borderline personality disorder in 1996.
Mrs Baker, who is a prominent UK performance artist, expressed her happiness at the nomination.
She said: “I’m delighted. It’s probably the most significant thing that has happened to me, I’ve not been so pleased about anything”
You may also want to watch:
The coveted charity award, now in its 30th year, was set up to celebrate works that increase understanding of mental health problems amongst the general public.
However Mrs Baker who spent time at the Drayton Park Women’s Crisis Centre in Islington was keen to stress the stigmatism that is still attached to mental illness.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 8 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 9 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
She said: “The problem is that there is an assumption that once diagnosed you cannot get better and that is simply not true.”
“It is also something that is incredibly common as well, the fact that one in four people will experience mental illness at some point just goes to show how normal it is today.”
The winner of the competition will be announced at the end of July. Mrs Baker will tour the UK this summer with her new show Mad Gyms and Kitchens which comes to London in October.