Holloway Road Shelter named best charity shop in the country
- Credit: Archant
The best charity shop in the country is officially in Holloway Road.
Shelter, which raises money to end homelessness, was named the Charity Shop of the Year at the 2019 Charity Retail Awards.
The judges said they were wowed by improvements at the store. Sales in 2018/2019 increased by £56,000, a 67 per cent increase on last year. The total number of customers also rose by 43pc.
Shelter's David Cryer said: "Our Holloway Road shop is so special because of one thing: people. Not just the inspiring community shop manager Tracy-Jane Taylor, but also the many incredible volunteers she has gathered from the local community.
"Everyone at Holloway Road is fighting for an end to the housing crisis, to defend the human right to have a safe, secure home. And that really shows when you go into the shop.
You may also want to watch:
"This award is testament to the generosity of that local community, in giving us their time and custom, and we'd like to share it with them all."
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 10 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing