Holloway Road Shelter named best charity shop in the country
- Credit: Archant
The best charity shop in the country is officially in Holloway Road.
Shelter, which raises money to end homelessness, was named the Charity Shop of the Year at the 2019 Charity Retail Awards.
The judges said they were wowed by improvements at the store. Sales in 2018/2019 increased by £56,000, a 67 per cent increase on last year. The total number of customers also rose by 43pc.
Shelter's David Cryer said: "Our Holloway Road shop is so special because of one thing: people. Not just the inspiring community shop manager Tracy-Jane Taylor, but also the many incredible volunteers she has gathered from the local community.
"Everyone at Holloway Road is fighting for an end to the housing crisis, to defend the human right to have a safe, secure home. And that really shows when you go into the shop.
You may also want to watch:
"This award is testament to the generosity of that local community, in giving us their time and custom, and we'd like to share it with them all."
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey