Hope for Ozil as Emery gives update on Arsenal playmaker’s future
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal boss Unai Emery has revealed he is keen to make sure Mesut Ozil is ready to play after a testing start to the new season, following a number of question marks surrounding the German’s future at the club.
Despite being named as one of the Gunners' five captains by Emery, the 31-year-old has started just one Premier League game this season and not been included in the 18-man squad for the previous two.
Ozil and teammate Sead Kolasinac were also subjected to a carjacking attempt during pre-season, and Emery is keen to make sure the playmaker is ready both physically and mentally to play.
When asked about Ozil's future, Emery said: "With Mesut, this year started in a difficult [way] for him.
"In pre-season he worked well and was playing matches, but then he had the problems with Sead and it stopped.
You may also want to watch:
"After that problem, he was sick one week and then he lost a lot of training to continue working and [finding] his feet.
"But the last two or three weeks, he's improved with us in training and I think he's feeling good.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
"I didn't [promise] him that he'd play because I want to make sure he's ready and is available in training, and also giving us every day a good feeling in training, then he can play.
"My idea is to use every player and he is one in the squad.
"He has very big skills, the quality we will need in the next matches.
"I am happy now with how he's improving and training every day. He is one player more in the squad."