Housing campaigner honoured with Islington People’s Plaque
- Credit: Archant
A tireless campaigner who fought for better living conditions in Islington’s council homes has been honoured.
Betty Knight was the driving force behind the establishment of Spa Green Management Organisation in 1996 - a tenant run group which looks after the council estate.
Born and bred in Finsbury, she remained in Islington throughout her life, except when evacuated as a child during World War II.
In 1976 she moved from Amwell Street to Spa Green Estate and went on to campaign for improved housing for local people in Spa Green and Clerkenwell.
She died in 2010.
Last year a public vote chose Betty to be honoured with an Islington People’s Plaque and it was unveiled on the Spa Green Estate on May 15.
The event also marked 18 years of tenant management on the estate and residents held a party to celebrate.
- 1 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 2 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 3 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 4 Man allegedly 'shouted racist abuse' in Waterlow Park
- 5 Whittington Hospital's landmark incinerator chimney to be dismantled
- 6 Seven Sisters stabbing: Three jailed over Green Lanes gang killing
- 7 Petition for safer Finsbury Park gets 1,250 signatures in one week
- 8 Islington woman makes thousands from odd jobs app Airtasker
- 9 Emma Thompson and Sir Ian McKellen line up to play Whodunnit detectives
- 10 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
Rosemary Doyle, Islington Council’s head of library and heritage services, said: “Betty Knight was a tireless campaigner who worked for many years to improve lives for local people.
“Her energy and dedication touched many lives, and we’re proud to commemorate her with an Islington People’s Plaque.”
Islington People’s Plaques commemorate key Islington people, places and historic events, and are chosen by popular vote.
More than 4,700 people voted in the 2013 Islington People’s Plaque vote.
Plaques to the other two vote winners, medical pioneer Dr Gordon Signy and boxer Len Harvey, are to be unveiled later this year.
Voting for the 2014 Islington people’s plaque nominations will begin in the middle of next month.