Housmans Bookshop: Radical Cally store nominated for best independent retailer award
- Credit: Archant
A radical Caledonian Road bookshop has been shortlisted for an award for best independent retailer.
The British Book Awards has published regional shortlists for the 2020 Independent Bookshop of the Year gongs.
A record 49 bookshops from nine regions are competing to be named the country's best independent retailer for books. Islington's Housmans Bookshop is one of four London store fighting it to be named best in the capital.
Regional winners will then compete for the overall prize, to be given out at the British Book Awards ceremony, at London's Grosvenor House Hotel on May 18.
The overall winner will get £5,000 towards to put towards the running of the shop.
You may also want to watch:
The Bookseller's managing editor Tom Tivnan said: "It is really heartening to see the spread of the shortlisted shops, not just geographically but in longevity.
"There are businesses that have been mainstays for decades [...] but there are also newcomers, which are bringing fresh blood and energy to the sector."
- 1 Tributes paid to Islington student fatally stabbed in Tottenham
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Arsenal fan's search for every Highbury Stadium match since 1940s
- 4 Islington man sentenced for antisemitic graffiti in Stamford Hill
- 5 Man dies after collapsing in Islington
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Designated Covid care setting celebrates intervention on insurance issues
- 8 Residents' 'frustration' as Royal Mail works to deliver in lockdown
- 9 Highbury woman launches pen pal initiative to fight lockdown loneliness
- 10 Teaching mentor comes 'full circle' working at Islington school