Hundreds join protest march and rally to ‘stop horrendous road closures’ in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- Credit: Polly Hancock
Hundreds of people took to the streets on Saturday in another protest against road closures they claim are causing chaos and misery.
Traffic filters have been put in place to prevent vehicles using roads in Clerkenwell Green, Canonbury East and St Peter’s as rat runs.
Islington protesters upset about the council’s people friendly streets scheme, joined forces with others from Hackney and Tower Hamlets where similar initiatives have also been introduced to improve conditions for cyclists and pedestrians.
They held aloft banners stating ‘Road closures mean unsafe streets’ and ‘Don’t divide our community’.
They walked from Old Street roundabout, along New North Road and Upper Street, culminating with a rally in Islington Green.
You may also want to watch:
The protest is the eighth since restrictions were introduced in August under experimental traffic orders without prior consultation.
The council’s transport chief, Cllr Rowena Champion, said: “We have been listening to local people’s concerns on Islington’s streets. It is vital that we act now to create people-friendly streets, in order to make it easier and safer for people to walk, cycle, and use wheelchairs and buggies as alternatives to using public transport. “This will help people to socially distance and to avoid a rise in motor vehicle use as people move away from public transport.”
The council is inviting feedback before deciding whether to make the measures permanent at islingtonpeoplefriendlystreets.commonplace.is/.
- 1 Islington shooting victim named
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 5 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 6 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine