Hundreds join protest march and rally to ‘stop horrendous road closures’ in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- Credit: Polly Hancock
Hundreds of people took to the streets on Saturday in another protest against road closures they claim are causing chaos and misery.
Traffic filters have been put in place to prevent vehicles using roads in Clerkenwell Green, Canonbury East and St Peter’s as rat runs.
Islington protesters upset about the council’s people friendly streets scheme, joined forces with others from Hackney and Tower Hamlets where similar initiatives have also been introduced to improve conditions for cyclists and pedestrians.
They held aloft banners stating ‘Road closures mean unsafe streets’ and ‘Don’t divide our community’.
They walked from Old Street roundabout, along New North Road and Upper Street, culminating with a rally in Islington Green.
You may also want to watch:
The protest is the eighth since restrictions were introduced in August under experimental traffic orders without prior consultation.
The council’s transport chief, Cllr Rowena Champion, said: “We have been listening to local people’s concerns on Islington’s streets. It is vital that we act now to create people-friendly streets, in order to make it easier and safer for people to walk, cycle, and use wheelchairs and buggies as alternatives to using public transport. “This will help people to socially distance and to avoid a rise in motor vehicle use as people move away from public transport.”
The council is inviting feedback before deciding whether to make the measures permanent at islingtonpeoplefriendlystreets.commonplace.is/.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 6 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant