Hunt for mugging gang prowling Camden and Islington buses
POLICE have released CCTV images of three men they wish to trace in connection with 14 mobile phone thefts on night buses in Camden, Islington and the square mile.
The thefts all took place late at night or early in the morning between December 29 and February 16, and on each occasion the gang used the same method.
Typically, the suspects board a bus and one of the men snatches a phone from a lone victim as they are texting or talking on it.
The other two guys then crowd the doors to prevent the victim following the thief, before the gang all leave the bus together.
Two of the victims have received minor injuries during the muggings.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Chris Minnighan, leading the investigation, said: “We are doing everything we can to find those responsible for these incidents and we are asking people to remain vigilant and discreet with their belongings. The Camden Safer Transport Team is increasing its patrols and Camden Robbery Squad is carrying out extra patrols at night. If you see anyone suspicious please do contact police.”
Steve Burton, director of community safety, enforcement and policing at Transport for London, said: “Although London’s bus network is a low crime environment, with only 11 crimes per million passenger journeys, we will be working with the Metropolitan Police to ensure that criminal activity and anti-social behaviour remains at a minimum.”
- 1 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 2 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 3 Arsenal start pre-season with win over Chelsea but dealt blow with Jordan Nobbs injury
- 4 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 Escape in Islington this weekend: Lovely food and great new shows
- 7 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 10 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
The first suspect is a stocky black man, with a scar on his right cheek. The second is a slim white man with a large nose. The third is a tall black or Asian man, who often wears a dark jacket. They all usually wear hats.
- Anyone with information is asked to contact Camden Robbery Squad on 020 8733 6963 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.