I am being punished for having a big car
I own a Jaguar car, and for that I am being penalised under Islington Council’s new parking permit structure.
Before I moved to Islington I lived in a part of Enfield outside of any CPZ. My father is very old (93) and it was decided that I should move back into my father’s house in order to help with the day-to-day routine. I hold down a full-time job as well.
There are times I need to transport my father from place to place and using the car I have is quite convenient – a smaller car just wouldn’t be as easy and comfortable for my father. He never had a car, and now I am able to make life a little better for him Islington Council penalises me!
How is this the “fairest way”? I thought we lived in a democratic society. I go to work on public transport, but because I own a car and hardly clock up a 1,000 miles per year, I am penalised!
Other residents use their cars daily, morning, noon and night! But because they have a smaller car they pay far less than I have to, yet are free to pollute all day long!
You may also want to watch:
Is the council really sure this is the “fairest way” – or is this just milking a motorist who is prudent with the use they make of their big car?
I am not in a position to buy a smaller car at this present time and the option to join a car club as yet is not an option. I would be grateful if the council could come up with some kind of concession, as insurance companies do, for low mileage drivers.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 6 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 7 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 8 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 9 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 10 Covid delays Finsbury Park murder suspect's bail hearing
I am sure I am not alone in this situation. Just like most people remain the silent minority, that just pay through the nose. – Mark J Griffiths, Fieldway Crescent, N5.