I am being punished for having a big car
I own a Jaguar car, and for that I am being penalised under Islington Council’s new parking permit structure.
Before I moved to Islington I lived in a part of Enfield outside of any CPZ. My father is very old (93) and it was decided that I should move back into my father’s house in order to help with the day-to-day routine. I hold down a full-time job as well.
There are times I need to transport my father from place to place and using the car I have is quite convenient – a smaller car just wouldn’t be as easy and comfortable for my father. He never had a car, and now I am able to make life a little better for him Islington Council penalises me!
How is this the “fairest way”? I thought we lived in a democratic society. I go to work on public transport, but because I own a car and hardly clock up a 1,000 miles per year, I am penalised!
Other residents use their cars daily, morning, noon and night! But because they have a smaller car they pay far less than I have to, yet are free to pollute all day long!
You may also want to watch:
Is the council really sure this is the “fairest way” – or is this just milking a motorist who is prudent with the use they make of their big car?
I am not in a position to buy a smaller car at this present time and the option to join a car club as yet is not an option. I would be grateful if the council could come up with some kind of concession, as insurance companies do, for low mileage drivers.
- 1 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 4 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 5 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 6 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 7 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 10 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
I am sure I am not alone in this situation. Just like most people remain the silent minority, that just pay through the nose. – Mark J Griffiths, Fieldway Crescent, N5.