I’ve never eaten in a restaurant
My boyfriend has invited me for a restaurant meal. I’ve never had one, and don’t like to say.
At home, we only ever eat off plates on the coffee table while watching TV and we usually eat with a fork.
I’ve looked at restaurants, and you have to have two lots of knives and forks and it’s all very complicated.
I don’t want to show myself up.
Barbara says: Don’t worry, you won’t. Most people, these days, eat with forks and restaurant staff are used to it.
You may also want to watch:
The only rule you need to know is that if there is more than one knife and fork, you start from the outside in.
So for a starter you eat with the knife (if you need it) and fork on the outside of the two lots. Then for your main course you eat with the bigger, inside lot.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 5 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 6 Jailed: Businessman bombarded Jeremy Corbyn and other MPs with 'vile' emails
- 7 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 8 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
They’ll have already taken the smaller lot away. And they do look after you.
So if you need special cutlery for a dish, like a soup spoon or a fish knife (don’t ask – most of us don’t know why that’s a special thing) they bring it to you and remove anything you don’t need.
Just go with the flow!