I’ve never eaten in a restaurant
My boyfriend has invited me for a restaurant meal. I’ve never had one, and don’t like to say.
At home, we only ever eat off plates on the coffee table while watching TV and we usually eat with a fork.
I’ve looked at restaurants, and you have to have two lots of knives and forks and it’s all very complicated.
I don’t want to show myself up.
Barbara says: Don’t worry, you won’t. Most people, these days, eat with forks and restaurant staff are used to it.
You may also want to watch:
The only rule you need to know is that if there is more than one knife and fork, you start from the outside in.
So for a starter you eat with the knife (if you need it) and fork on the outside of the two lots. Then for your main course you eat with the bigger, inside lot.
- 1 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 2 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 3 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 4 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 5 Consultation launches on St Peter’s people-friendly streets scheme
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 8 'We will miss you': Tufnell Park's Ruby Violet ice cream parlour to close
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 £1.5m revamp of Stroud Green Primary School given go-ahead
They’ll have already taken the smaller lot away. And they do look after you.
So if you need special cutlery for a dish, like a soup spoon or a fish knife (don’t ask – most of us don’t know why that’s a special thing) they bring it to you and remove anything you don’t need.
Just go with the flow!