Ian Wright blasts Arsenal hierarchy after top brass fail to deal with Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez contract renewals calling it ‘disgusting business’
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Arsenal legend Ian Wright believes the way Arsenal dealt with contracts of unsettled stars Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez has been ‘disgusting business’, and insists the Chilean should be sold on once the transfer window opens as he has appeared ‘disinterested’ this term.
The talented pair have been two of Arsenal’s key performers since signing for the North London giants, with the club shelling out £42 million for the German in August 2013, while the former Barcelona forward was bought for a fee in the region of £35m in the summer of 2014 from the Nou Camp.
However the duo have only six months left on their existing deals with the club and are allowed to talk to continental suitors next month.
The situation prompted the much-loved Wright to blast the club’s hierarchy for allowing the situation to fester.
Speaking on Sky Sports The Debate on Tuesday evening he said: “It is terrible business for Arsenal, for a club accused of being a business to allow two players like that to run their contracts down.
“Sanchez on top form is easily a £100m player. Ozil on top form is worth £70m to £80m. Arsenal are letting that go. It is disgusting business on the management side for Arsenal.
“How are you going to sell players like that in January for £25m? It is like people are laughing at you. Manchester City could find £25m in the car seat or something. And you’re going to get Sanchez for that kind of money? For it to get to this point where they can be offered that kind of money…and why would you offer £60m when they are free in a few months?
- 1 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Missing: 29-year-old Islington woman found 'safe and well'
- 4 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 5 New cabinet announced for Islington Council
- 6 Floating park between Camden Town and King's Cross
- 7 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 8 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Appeal hearing of MP Claudia Webbe gets under way
“With the way that Sanchez is playing and having seen him be substituted in recent times, something that never used to happen, I would probably take the hit on him now because it looks like the towel has gone in and his heart isn’t in it now.”
Arsene Wenger insisted this week Ozil is keen to stay at Arsenal after playing well for the last few months.
But Wright is not convinced. He added: “The cynics will say he has hit form at the right time for him. He’s running down a contract and is linked with other clubs. He’s on a free. It’s very lucrative for him if he can see that out. I think it is more lucrative for him to leave and go somewhere where he thinks he can get Champions League football and might challenge for more trophies.”
Arsenal, who beat London rivals West Ham in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday at the Emirates to move into the last four of the competition, are set to play Liverpool on Friday evening at the Emirates, live on Sky Sports Premier League.