Insulate Britain blocks rush hour traffic at Old Street
Emma Bartholomew and Sally Patterson
- Credit: Sally Patterson
Protesters from Insulate Britain have blocked the Old Street gyratory, causing major disruption during rush hour.
About 40 demonstrators glued their hands to the A501 in Shoreditch, and are staging a simultaneous protest at junction 25 of the M25 at Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire.
The climate change activists want the government to fund a national home insulation programme starting with all social housing.
The protests caused long queues of rush hour traffic on Friday morning (October 8).
Insulate Britain admitted its actions on the M25 are “in breach” of an injunction obtained by the Government last month.
You may also want to watch:
Group spokesperson Tracey Mallagan said: “If governments don’t act soon to reduce emissions, we face a terrifying situation.
“We won’t be worrying about shortages of pasta or loo rolls because law and order breaks down pretty quickly when there is not enough food to go round.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 4 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 5 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 6 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 7 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 8 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 9 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 10 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
“The Government won’t be wondering if there are enough hospital beds or ventilators, but whether there are enough people left to bury the dead.
“The Government is destroying our country. Boris Johnson should be taken to court for treason. Our flesh and blood are being tossed aside as expendable.”