Ironmonger Row Baths facelift on course
THE �16million revamp of the historic Ironmonger Row Baths is on course to be completed by next summer.
Wales Construction Limited has now been given �13.8million by Islington Council to carry out a refurbishment of the grade-two listed facility in Ironmonger Row, Finsbury.
Council executive members gave the go-ahead last Thursday for the second stage of construction work to begin and it is due to be finished by June 2012.
Councillor Paul Convery, executive member for planning and regeneration, said: “Ironmonger Row Baths will become an excellent facility which will help the council achieve the objective of having great sporting facilities such as swimming and a gym in this part of the borough. It is a big project and we all want it to be a success.”
Councillor Catherine West, Labour leader of Islington Council, said: “This will cost a considerable amount of money but bring tremendous benefits. It is a major refurbishment which is taking an old building and putting in a completely new interior. When the work is finished we hope it becomes something of a tourist attraction.”
You may also want to watch:
The redevelopment of the Ironmonger Row Baths includes restoring the main pool, installing a new teacher pool, creating a bigger gym with more than 70 exercise stations, refurbishing the Turkish Baths with an expanded spa area, improving the seating gallery and other historical features of the property.
The work will also provide a new park-facing entrance with an internal atrium foyer, a central lift for all floors and a public laundry.
- 1 Dangerous driving complaints spur Holloway right-turn bans
- 2 Upper Street coffee shop to start selling "quality" wine despite noise objections
- 3 More than 1,000 knives surrendered in Islington’s knife bins
- 4 Letters on Low Traffic Neighbourhoods
- 5 Letter on Holloway Prison site development
- 6 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 7 Emirates pop-up Covid-19 vaccine clinic opens for a second time
- 8 Covid-19 cases start to drop off in Islington
- 9 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 10 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
The project is being funded by with a �12 million contribution from Islington Council and �3.6 million from the EC1 New Deal for Communities Fund.
The Ironmonger Row Baths, which was built in 1931 and upgraded to a Turkish Bath venue, has been closed to the public to allow for the refurbishment.