Islington 100 year old reunited with grandson after 11 years
- Credit: Archant
Grandson flies 6,000 miles to surprise grandmother on her 100th birthday
A grandmother was given a real surprise when her grandson flew back from Hong Kong to Islington to celebrate her 100th birthday – after not seeing her in more than 10 years.
Ada Whatling turned 100 in style at the start of April, when her Bridgeside Lodge care home in Wharf Road threw her a surprise birthday party – marking her century with family, friends, and Labour candidate for Islington South Emily Thornberry.
“Not only has she turned 100 but they’ve managed to find her grandson, which is just wonderful.
“She lost contact with her grandson when her son died. He was living in Hong Kong and he saw his grandmother on a blog post coming out of a canal festival last year and so got in touch and they arranged for him to come over as a surprise.
You may also want to watch:
“She didn’t have any other family there other than her grandson so that makes it much more important.
“She was very emotional and very tearful but they were tears of joy. She actually appreciated it and was very excited. She’s a very happy person.”
- 1 Islington shooting victim named
- 2 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 3 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 4 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 5 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 6 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 7 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 8 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
“The day was amazing and everybody enjoyed it. Her grandson being there made Ada’s day.”