Islington 100 year old reunited with grandson after 11 years
- Credit: Archant
Grandson flies 6,000 miles to surprise grandmother on her 100th birthday
A grandmother was given a real surprise when her grandson flew back from Hong Kong to Islington to celebrate her 100th birthday – after not seeing her in more than 10 years.
Ada Whatling turned 100 in style at the start of April, when her Bridgeside Lodge care home in Wharf Road threw her a surprise birthday party – marking her century with family, friends, and Labour candidate for Islington South Emily Thornberry.
“Not only has she turned 100 but they’ve managed to find her grandson, which is just wonderful.
“She lost contact with her grandson when her son died. He was living in Hong Kong and he saw his grandmother on a blog post coming out of a canal festival last year and so got in touch and they arranged for him to come over as a surprise.
“She didn’t have any other family there other than her grandson so that makes it much more important.
“She was very emotional and very tearful but they were tears of joy. She actually appreciated it and was very excited. She’s a very happy person.”
- 1 New Aldi on Old Street to open this month
- 2 'Save Islington's buses': Call for action as sweeping cuts loom
- 3 Arsenal begin pre-season in strong position
- 4 Islington men charged after jewellery store robbery
- 5 Hit Brighton food hall operator to open Upper Street venue
- 6 Guilty: 4 teenagers admit 27 offences after series of 19 robberies
- 7 Covid admissions on the rise at north London hospitals
- 8 Old Bailey: Pair enter pleas over Alex Smith murder
- 9 Census 2021: What has changed in your borough since 2011?
- 10 Islington scammers jailed after preying on elderly victims
“The day was amazing and everybody enjoyed it. Her grandson being there made Ada’s day.”