Islington benefit to support crisis-hit East African countries
A concert to raise cash for famine and drought-hit countries in East Africa takes place this weekend.
Residents, charities and businesses have come together to host Islington Against Hunger at the St Mellitus Church in Tollington Park, Finsbury Park, on Saturday.
They are aiming to raise money that could help some four million Somalis who are in crisis and tens of thousands in Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti.
Sahra Abdillahi of the women’s charity One True Voice, one of the organisers, said: “Somalia has suffered its worst harvest in 17 years. The aid agencies will capitalise on the short rainy season about to start. But the rains will bring increased risk of disease. The crisis is a major concern for many local families who are doing their best to raise funds.”
There will be music from Somali artist Fuad Omar and singer Jermain Jackman while Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North, and the leader of Islington Council, Cllr Catherine West, will be among the speakers.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Corbyn said: “The Islington Against Famine concert will give local people the chance to have a good evening out at the same time as raising funds for the vital work of the aid agencies in East Africa.”
- Islington Against Hunger will be at the St Mellitus Church from 6.30pm on Saturday. The minimum donation for entrance will be �5 and children get in free. Please visit www.dec.org.uk to donate to the cause.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 'Unbelievably awful’ - North London MPs react to David Amess stabbing
- 5 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 'I’m not mad. I’m an MP': Claudia Webbe harassment trial continues
- 8 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington