Islington benefit to support crisis-hit East African countries
A concert to raise cash for famine and drought-hit countries in East Africa takes place this weekend.
Residents, charities and businesses have come together to host Islington Against Hunger at the St Mellitus Church in Tollington Park, Finsbury Park, on Saturday.
They are aiming to raise money that could help some four million Somalis who are in crisis and tens of thousands in Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti.
Sahra Abdillahi of the women’s charity One True Voice, one of the organisers, said: “Somalia has suffered its worst harvest in 17 years. The aid agencies will capitalise on the short rainy season about to start. But the rains will bring increased risk of disease. The crisis is a major concern for many local families who are doing their best to raise funds.”
There will be music from Somali artist Fuad Omar and singer Jermain Jackman while Jeremy Corbyn, MP for Islington North, and the leader of Islington Council, Cllr Catherine West, will be among the speakers.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Corbyn said: “The Islington Against Famine concert will give local people the chance to have a good evening out at the same time as raising funds for the vital work of the aid agencies in East Africa.”
- Islington Against Hunger will be at the St Mellitus Church from 6.30pm on Saturday. The minimum donation for entrance will be �5 and children get in free. Please visit www.dec.org.uk to donate to the cause.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 6 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 7 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Mental health charity announces arts award winner and new grants
- 10 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park