Children get jogging with Islington school running challenge
- Credit: Archant
An Islington initiative is encouraging children to go the extra two kilometres with a new fundraising summer challenge.
Run Kids Run held its first socially-distanced event on June 27 and 28, in which 400 children ran two kilometre around Highbury Fields, Thornhill Square, Arundel Square, St Mary Magdalene Gardens and Caledonian Park.
Schools in Islington which took part include Thornhill Primary School, Canonbury Primary School, Drayton Park Primary School, Laycock Primary School and St Mary Magdalene Academy.
READ MORE: Islington youngsters impress at Mini MarathonThey each renamed the event to reflect their own brand - for example, Run Thornhill Run.
It raised £40,000 in total for Run Kids Run, which will distribute the funds to the particular school it was raised for.
Third Space contributed warm up and stretching videos before the event, and former Sky Sports presenter Theodore Slotover, also known as Ted Kravitz, hosted the event.
You may also want to watch:
Emily Bohill, founder of Run Kids Run, said: “Running has huge mental health benefits and we hope that the Run Kids Run initiative will give hope within our community during these challenging times.”
Run Kids Run started at Thornhill Primary School three years ago and, with the help of sponsorship from Islington Square, is in the processing of registering as a charity.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 5 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 6 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 10 Letters: Fighting to keep Wray Crescent Park available to all
Following the event, Emily is now asking children to 2km, donate £2 and then nominate friends.