Islington community centre to ‘spruce up’ after winning £1,000 voucher
- Credit: Archant
An Islington community centre has secured £1,000 to renovate its premises.
St Luke’s Community Centre on Central Street has won the voucher from hardware and decorating merchant Leyland SDM as part of the company’s Give London a Lift campaign.
This is a competition to help community groups, organisations and charities amid the coronavirus pandemic.
READ MORE: St Luke’s Community Centre offers free activitiesThomas Lans, director of operations at St Luke’s, said: “Our plan is to paint a number of rooms in the centre and spruce up the place to welcome our visitors in.”
He said St Luke’s has also set up a Food Hub and phone befriending service, and as lockdown eases has started to provide a lunch club for over-55s and indoor activities.
“Hopefully we will be able to return to our normal service in the coming months and it will be a huge boost to everyone to return to a newly-painted centre.”
You may also want to watch:
Paul Gerreli, marketing director at Leyland SDM, said: “We launched Give London a Lift to boost groups and organisations during this difficult time. St Luke’s stood out as they provide such key services to such a large section of their local community.”
St Luke’s is visited 140,000 each year and hosts a cookery school, gardening and food growing projects, a lunch club, children’s activities and business engagement programmes.
- 1 Jailed: Man who nearly killed woman in ‘random’ Islington attack
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 4 Green Lanes gang members guilty of killing which sparked tit-for-tat shooting
- 5 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 9 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 10 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
Organisations can apply for the competition at www.leylandsdm.co.uk/givelondonalift.