Islington Council: ‘Apprentices should be treated the same as students’
- Credit: Archant
Apprenticeships have just as much value as college and university courses. That was the official line coming out of Islington Council this morning, when it called for recruitment of apprentices to be aligned with the academic year.
The council claims it would “challenge perceptions of apprenticeships as a ‘plan B’ for young people who do not progress into higher education”.
It came as 11 new apprentices, began work with the council’s housing repairs team as schools and colleges returned from the summer holidays. Roles include plumbers and electricians.
Two other young people have also started apprenticeships in commercial property development and civil engineering.
Cllr Asima Shaikh, Islington’s economic development leader, said: “We owe it to our young people to make sure they get the support to capably and confidently pursue their ambitions and get the careers they deserve.
You may also want to watch:
“There have long since been countless calls to push for a parity of esteem between vocational and academic education for our young people.
“Aligning apprenticeship recruitment with the academic year is significant step towards this. It provides talented youngsters with a smooth step up, straightaway, to the next rung on their chosen career ladder, instead of a break in the process delaying their progress.”
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 10 Tony Eastlake: Man in court over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
For more information about Islington Council apprenticeships, visit adultlearning.islington.gov.uk/