Universal Credit: Islington Council offers one-off payments to help vulnerable claimants
- Credit: Archant
The town hall is supporting vulnerable council tenants claiming Universal Credit by offering them a one-off payment to cover a week’s rent.
The government’s flagship welfare police, combining six working age benefits into one online-only payment, started being rolled-out in full across the borough in June – and some 6,000 people in Islington have since switched to the system.
So far Islington has supported 2,147 council households, and 320 neighbours living in housing association properties, by offering payment equivalent to a week’s rent, which averages at £134.53.
Islington’s finance chief Cllr Andy Hull said: “This council has no confidence in Universal Credit, which is badly discredited and should be scrapped. It is failing the very people it was supposed to support. With 40 per cent of claimants needing to access additional council tax support and many not able to pay their childcare fees, it is clear something has gone terribly wrong. Some vulnerable groups, such as people with learning difficulties, are particularly badly affected.”
New claimants can wait up to five weeks for their first payments, which critics say pushes people into rental arrears. People can get up-front cash from the department for work and pensions but this is then deducted from their first payment.
You may also want to watch:
Claimants living in Islington council homes are, on average, in £1,226 debt. They owe the council nearly £2million.
- 1 Man jailed for rape of young girl in north London 40 years ago
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Disused Holloway garages converted into garment-making workspace
- 4 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 5 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 6 Police looking to speak to man in connection with sexual assault
- 7 Prince Edward visits youth centre in Islington
- 8 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 9 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 10 Sadiq Khan urged to denounce £1.2bn Edmonton incinerator