Westbourne Road zebra crossing: Campaigner claims pleas have been ignored ‘as it’s not a high profile part of Islington’
- Credit: Archant
The town hall has promised to consider a zebra crossing at a “dangerous” crossroads after a campaigner complained she was being ignored.
Guilene Gaspais, who has been leading a parents campaign, said her appeal for a zebra at the Westbourne Road and Bride Street crossroads were being ignored because it’s not a “high profile” area of Islington.
With the junction often busy with school kids, Guilene claims there is a near accident “every day”.
She said neighbours have been asking for a crossing for a decade, and nearly 700 people signed a petition this year.
After being approached by the Gazette, the town hall this week said it has “reached out” on the matter.
You may also want to watch:
For Guilene, it’s about time. “Every day,” she complained, “I see a near accident. Early this year, I got Freedom of Information figures from the Met Police which said there had been 15 collisions on the junction in the past four years. But these near accidents aren’t recorded.
“So many people support a crossing: parents, the playgroup, the church, the cornershop. I guess we’re not in a posh area of Islington. We’re on the estates. It’s such a dangerous area to cross a road.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 6 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Letters: Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - more points of view
- 9 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
“Maybe this area is not high profile enough for the council. We don’t have any high profile people to make it pay attention.
“It’s frustrating because we see lots of areas in Islington made safer with a crossing.”
One example is Leigh Road in Highbury last year, where the council took Abbey Road-style photos as part of its press release promoting the work.
Guilene, who lives on the Grove Estate, continued: “Lots of children cross Westbourne Road and it’s possible we could suffer a really bad accident.”
An Islington Council spokesman said: “We are always keen to improve road safety for pedestrians and all road users wherever we can, and are happy to receive suggestions from residents.
“We have reached out to the campaigner regarding this petition for a zebra crossing in Westbourne Road, near the junction with Bride Street.
“We will consider the request and thoroughly assess the site, just as we do for all requests of this kind, and respond in due course.”