Islington Council set to pursue judicial review against Boris Johnson’s fire cuts
- Credit: Archant
Town Hall chiefs have waded into the fire cuts row by throwing down the gauntlet to London Mayor Boris Johnson with a threat of legal action.
Islington and Hackney Councils are now pushing for a judicial review in a bid to save Clerkenwell.
The legal threat comes after Mr Johnson ordered the London Fire Authority to accept axing 10 stations and 552 firefighters across London after it blocked the proposals last month.
Both boroughs are in discussions with other inner London authorities – including Westminster and Camden – about funding a court showdown.
They would argue that the mayor’s bid is “unsound and irrational”, according to Islington Council’s executive member for community safety, Cllr Paul Convery.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “This is unchartered territory. We know throughout Islington it will take longer for a fire engine to reach an incident and in Mildmay, Clerkenwell and Caledonian wards, Boris’s plan means residents will have to wait longer than six minutes for the first fire engine, and the mayor has said that should not happen.
I“So we’re saying, guess what Boris, we will see you in court if you continue to try to force this through.
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Run Kids Run: Huge fun run raises £40,000 for Islington primary schools
- 3 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 4 'Help! I found a lizard in my luggage after my holiday'
- 5 'We're angry': London councillors demand Met tackles violence to women
- 6 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
- 7 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 8 Swan stops train in its track at Kensal Rise
- 9 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 10 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
“He isn’t holding all the cards, because we think this is such a fundamental decision, and one in which lives are at risk, that we will do everything in our power to stop these stations being closed.
“This plan is unsound and irrational and not based on safety, it’s based on saving money when he could have found the money somewhere else in his empire to keep these fire stations open.”
Cllr Convery said a judicial review heard by a High Court judge could cost in excess of £50,000.
Last month London Fire Authority members voted nine to eight against the cuts.
Clerkenwell residents will have to wait a further two minutes seven seconds for a first fire engine to arrive if the cuts go ahead, while Dalston and De Beauvoir will have to wait another 1min 41secs and 3mins 13secs respectively.
Cllr Terry Stacy, leader of the Lib Dem opposition, said he supports Islington Council’s pledge on legal action.
Mayor of Hackney Jules Pipe said: “I’m appalled by the decision.
“It means response times for engines reaching six wards – or one third of Hackney - will be well over the fire brigade’s [six minute] target, increasing by almost 75% in one case.”
Mr Johnson said: “I am perplexed as to why the fire authority has felt it necessary to lead the fire service into an increasingly precarious position by not facing up to its fiscal responsibilities and by rejecting the sound professional judgement of the fire commissioner, a firefighter with more than 20 years of experience.
“I have issued a direction, which requires the authority to adopt the London safety plan as proposed by the commissioner on July 18, so that there is a balanced fire authority budget for 2014-15 and so that compulsory redundancies can be avoided.
“We need to move forward to face the challenges of 21st century firefighting.”