Islington Council to hold event for Olympic 2012 volunteers from borough
Appeal for Islingtonians who helped make the London 2012 Games one of the best ever to get in touch.
Residents who volunteered during the Olympics are being celebrated with a special event held by Islington Council.
All games makers, ambassadors and travel champions from Islington are invited to the event at Islington Assembly Hall in Upper Street, Islington, hosted by the borough’s mayor, Cllr Jilani Chowdhury.
The ‘thank you’ event on Tuesday, December 4, will celebrate the achievements and legacy of the London 2012 volunteers from the borough who helped make it a memorable summer of sport and one of the best Games in history.
Islington Council has now put out an appeal to all those involved asking them to get in touch to confirm their place at the event, which will take place between 4.30pm and 6.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Mayor Jilani Chowdhury said: “Our borough volunteers played their part in making this an unforgettable summer for Islington and the capital.
“There’s never been an occasion to say thank you publicly, so we are doing it now.
- 1 Jeremy Corbyn on the fuel poverty crisis
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 4 Kentish Town teen creates football team to 'bring community together'
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 7 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 8 Club Curling comes to Coal Drops Yard in King’s Cross
- 9 'Exceptional' heroes granted Islington's highest award, the 'Freedom of the Borough'
- 10 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
“If you live in Islington and were part of the army of Olympic volunteers on the streets, in stations and at Olympic venues, or helped steward our own torch relay day or sang and danced in the ceremonies, please make yourselves known.”
Lib Dem leader Cllr Terry Stacy wrote a letter published in the Islington Gazette back in September urging Cllr Chowdhury and the council to celebrate the success of Islington Olympic volunteers with an event.
Volunteers are asked to ring 0207 527 3062 or 3141, or email email@example.com to confirm their place, quoting their London 2012 reference number.