Islington Council to hold event for Olympic 2012 volunteers from borough
Appeal for Islingtonians who helped make the London 2012 Games one of the best ever to get in touch.
Residents who volunteered during the Olympics are being celebrated with a special event held by Islington Council.
All games makers, ambassadors and travel champions from Islington are invited to the event at Islington Assembly Hall in Upper Street, Islington, hosted by the borough’s mayor, Cllr Jilani Chowdhury.
The ‘thank you’ event on Tuesday, December 4, will celebrate the achievements and legacy of the London 2012 volunteers from the borough who helped make it a memorable summer of sport and one of the best Games in history.
Islington Council has now put out an appeal to all those involved asking them to get in touch to confirm their place at the event, which will take place between 4.30pm and 6.30pm.
Mayor Jilani Chowdhury said: “Our borough volunteers played their part in making this an unforgettable summer for Islington and the capital.
“There’s never been an occasion to say thank you publicly, so we are doing it now.
- 1 Man arrested, cyclist seriously injured after alleged hit and run
- 2 Woman harassed by Claudia Webbe wanted MP 'to be humiliated'
- 3 MP Claudia Webbe loses harassment conviction appeal - but sentence reduced
- 4 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 5 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 6 Mother Clucker! Fried chicken restaurant to open in Upper Street
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in north London
- 9 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“If you live in Islington and were part of the army of Olympic volunteers on the streets, in stations and at Olympic venues, or helped steward our own torch relay day or sang and danced in the ceremonies, please make yourselves known.”
Lib Dem leader Cllr Terry Stacy wrote a letter published in the Islington Gazette back in September urging Cllr Chowdhury and the council to celebrate the success of Islington Olympic volunteers with an event.
Volunteers are asked to ring 0207 527 3062 or 3141, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm their place, quoting their London 2012 reference number.