Islington Council welcomes TfL’s move to make all its roads 20mph
- Credit: Archant
Some of the busiest roads in Islington will become 20mph zones between now and 2024 after a Transport for London shake-up led by Sadiq Khan was announced today.
The announcement is part of a Zero Action Plan, launched by the Mayor of London and the Met, which aims to eliminate deaths and serious injuries on roads by 2041,
In Islington, busy routes like Pentonville Road, Holloway Road and the Archway Gyratory will all be affected by the changes.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s transport boss, said: “We’re committed to making Islington’s roads safer, and to taking pioneering action such as introducing a 20mph limit on all of our streets, not only the first of its kind but also becoming the first London borough to work with the Met Police to enforce against speeding.”
The news comes after graphic designer. SorenAarlev, of Haggerston. was killed by a car in Goswell Road.
You may also want to watch:
In 2012 Islington Council became the first local authority in London to introduce 20mph limits on all roads managed by the borough.
- 1 Hackney and Islington see another rise in Covid-19 cases
- 2 Taylor Cox 'wanted to play pro football until he was stabbed two years ago'
- 3 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 4 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 5 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 6 Arsenal offers behind scenes tour of Emirates Stadium at Covid jab pop-up
- 7 Highbury woman repairs clothes outside H&M in stand against fast fashion
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Campaign groups link up for Hackney Town Hall anti-road closure demo
- 10 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park