Islington Council welcomes TfL’s move to make all its roads 20mph
- Credit: Archant
Some of the busiest roads in Islington will become 20mph zones between now and 2024 after a Transport for London shake-up led by Sadiq Khan was announced today.
The announcement is part of a Zero Action Plan, launched by the Mayor of London and the Met, which aims to eliminate deaths and serious injuries on roads by 2041,
In Islington, busy routes like Pentonville Road, Holloway Road and the Archway Gyratory will all be affected by the changes.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s transport boss, said: “We’re committed to making Islington’s roads safer, and to taking pioneering action such as introducing a 20mph limit on all of our streets, not only the first of its kind but also becoming the first London borough to work with the Met Police to enforce against speeding.”
The news comes after graphic designer. SorenAarlev, of Haggerston. was killed by a car in Goswell Road.
You may also want to watch:
In 2012 Islington Council became the first local authority in London to introduce 20mph limits on all roads managed by the borough.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 3 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 4 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 5 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 6 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 7 How much are Islington's Monopoly squares worth in 2021?
- 8 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 9 Jungle Cruise (12A)
- 10 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos