Islington female football hopefuls take part in festival
- Credit: Archant
Young female football hopefuls brushed shoulders with the UEFA Women’s Champion’s League trophy ahead of the prestigious competition’s final next month.
Around 50 young fans braved the biting cold to stand next to the iconic trophy and take part in Islington Football Development Partnership’s football festival for girls last week.
The trophy visit – promotion for the upcoming Women’s Champion’s League final at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea, on May 23 – was jointly organised by the Islington group, UEFA, the FA and Arsenal Ladies FC.
Those who attended also learnt new skills from the eight Islington female coaches in attendance, and met stars Kim Little and Jennifer Beattie from Arsenal Ladies.
Michael MacNeill, development manager for the Islington Football Development Partnership, said: “The day was a huge success.
You may also want to watch:
“Thank you to everyone who made it happen. It was fantastic to see the girls’ enthusiasm and to see so many new faces wanting to try out football in Islington.”
The UEFA Women’s Champions League final takes place at Stamford Bridge on Thursday May 23. Tickets priced from £5 are available now from www.chelseafc.com/uefawomensfinal
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 3 Council fund boosts plans for Islington 'urban forest'
- 4 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 5 Islington community charity launches with sunny street party
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 8 Parliament Square demo: Protesters call on government to end cladding crisis
- 9 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'