Islington female football hopefuls take part in festival
- Credit: Archant
Young female football hopefuls brushed shoulders with the UEFA Women’s Champion’s League trophy ahead of the prestigious competition’s final next month.
Around 50 young fans braved the biting cold to stand next to the iconic trophy and take part in Islington Football Development Partnership’s football festival for girls last week.
The trophy visit – promotion for the upcoming Women’s Champion’s League final at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea, on May 23 – was jointly organised by the Islington group, UEFA, the FA and Arsenal Ladies FC.
Those who attended also learnt new skills from the eight Islington female coaches in attendance, and met stars Kim Little and Jennifer Beattie from Arsenal Ladies.
Michael MacNeill, development manager for the Islington Football Development Partnership, said: “The day was a huge success.
You may also want to watch:
“Thank you to everyone who made it happen. It was fantastic to see the girls’ enthusiasm and to see so many new faces wanting to try out football in Islington.”
The UEFA Women’s Champions League final takes place at Stamford Bridge on Thursday May 23. Tickets priced from £5 are available now from www.chelseafc.com/uefawomensfinal
- 1 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 6 Islington shooting victim named
- 7 The Bridge London Trust chief exec Penny Barratt awarded OBE
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 10 Man injured in Hornsey Rise shooting