Islington girl, six, cuts off her hair to help children suffering cancer
Amy Jade Ellis was so touched when she read about child sufferers of cancer losing their hair that she decided to chop off her own tresses so they could be made into a wig.
Six-year-old Amy Jade, who barely shed a tear when her long locks were snipped off, has also raised �250 for the Little Princess Trust – which makes wigs for boys and girls who have lost their hair.
Amy Jade, who lives in Liverpool Road, Islington, and attends nearby Thornhill Primary School in Thornhill Road, is the oldest of four sisters – and is now the only one with a chic above-the-shoulder bob.
Grandmother Annmarie Curran, who took Amy Jade to Willow Hair and Beauty in Leather Lane, Finsbury, for the cut, said: “Amy’s mum was reading a magazine and she saw an article about the Little Princess Trust.
“We told Amy about children losing their hair and she was really touched by it. She wanted to do something to help
“It costs the charity �350 to provide a wig so Amy wanted to donate her hair.
“We also got people to sponsor her. I asked all my colleagues and she had a little tin.”
- 1 40 firefighters called to scene as Highbury flat damaged
- 2 'Wrong place, wrong time': Men convicted after fatal mistaken revenge shooting
- 3 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 4 Jailed: Members of 'sophisticated' drugs crime gang sentenced
- 5 Call for fuel payment machines in Hackney and Islington
- 6 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 7 Covid-19: Hospital admissions and bed occupancy continue to fall
- 8 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 9 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 10 Pirates: Reggie Yates film shot in Angel gets release
Ms Curran, a black cab driver of Carleton Road, Holloway, is very proud of her granddaughter.
She said: “I think Amy had a couple of tears when it was cut but she is over it now.
“Two of her sisters have really long hair so she likes to be a little bit different.
“And she always comes to the hairdresser with me when I have my hair coloured – we are in there for about two hours – so it was nice for her to get treated herself.”