Recycling centre off Hornsey Street evacuated amid gas leak fears
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of workers were evacuated from a Cally recycling plant this morning amid fears of a chemical leak.
The fire brigade cleared out the Islington Household Reuse and Recycling Centre in Cottage Road just after 7am, leaving lorries queueing down Hornsey Street.
But they could find no increased chemical levels anywhere on the site and it has now reopened.
A fire brigade spokesperson said: "We were called at 7.03am to a reported smell of gas.
"It's a recycling centre with three floors. One man has been assessed by London Ambulance Service (LAS).
You may also want to watch:
"The recycling centre has been evacuated and we have carried out a sweep of the building. We haven't found any elevated readings of any chemicals, but we are still at the scene."
Paramedics had been called to the scene moments earlier and took someone to hospital after they were "taken ill" at the plant - but this is thought to have been due to an unrelated issue.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 6 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 7 'Islington drivers – you don't always need to overtake cyclists'
- 8 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 9 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 10 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
An LAS spokesperson said: "We were called at 6.57am today to Cottage Road, N7, to reports of a person taken ill.
"We sent an incident response officer, a medic in a response car and an ambulance crew. We also dispatched our hazardous area response team (HART).
"We treated a person at the scene and took them to hospital."