Islington in Bloom awards celebrate colourful horticultural creations
- Credit: Islington Council
Some of the borough’s most colourful horticultural creations have been recognised in the Islington in Bloom 2020 awards.
This year’s competition was held online to adapt to the pandemic and the need for social distancing, and the 130 entries were judged based on photos.
Sally Hull won the prize for the best back garden, while Pamela Berham won best front garden and Mike Power won best window box. Pooles Park Primary School bagged the prize for best children’s planting.
Meanwhile Robin Don was recognised for having the best container garden, Jane, Sarah, Sheila, Rumi and Francisco had the best tree pit and Carmen Alcovedes had the best house plant.
The council’s eco chief, Cllr Rowena Champion, said: “Islington in Bloom is always such a fantastic celebration of community and, even amidst the challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic, this year has been no different.
You may also want to watch:
“Islington’s gardeners, amateurs and experts alike, help make our borough such a welcoming, attractive place.
“Gardening is such a therapeutic activity, and I’d encourage all our residents to embrace this fun, joyful hobby as they spend more time than usual at home.”
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 3 Islington shooting victim named
- 4 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 5 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 6 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 7 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 8 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 9 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller
- 10 Manor Gardens Welfare Trust CEO awarded British Empire Medal
Winners and runners-up received National Garden Centre vouchers, free compost and an electronic certificate.