Islington leader voted best in the country
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Islington Council has been named the best in the country.
Cllr Catherine West, who has been in the town hall hotseat since 2010, beat of stiff competition to scoop the prestigious gong on Monday.
The awards were hosted by the Local Government Information Unit and the Churches, Charities and Local Authorities organisation.
Judged praised Cllr West as a “doer and a thinker”.
She said: “I’m incredibly proud to collect this award. In these tough times my priority is making Islington a fairer place - building more social housing, paying the living wage and making sure young people have the support they need to study and get on in life. “
You may also want to watch:
A second Islington award went to Cllr Joe Caluori, who won a £10,000 scholarship to fund a project promoting local government.
- 1 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 2 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 3 Islington house prices rise £30k during Covid-19 pandemic year
- 4 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 5 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 6 Hackney photographer captures lockdown 'park life'
- 7 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 10 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox