Islington leader voted best in the country
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Islington Council has been named the best in the country.
Cllr Catherine West, who has been in the town hall hotseat since 2010, beat of stiff competition to scoop the prestigious gong on Monday.
The awards were hosted by the Local Government Information Unit and the Churches, Charities and Local Authorities organisation.
Judged praised Cllr West as a “doer and a thinker”.
She said: “I’m incredibly proud to collect this award. In these tough times my priority is making Islington a fairer place - building more social housing, paying the living wage and making sure young people have the support they need to study and get on in life. “
A second Islington award went to Cllr Joe Caluori, who won a £10,000 scholarship to fund a project promoting local government.
- 1 Disqualified driver jailed after hit-and-run involving Islington schoolgirl
- 2 Shell casings found after Islington gun reports
- 3 Plan to extend popular Gooners pub with shops and flats
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 6 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 7 Blue Badge exemption and positive results for Canonbury East LTN
- 8 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 9 Archway teacher on trial for 'encouraging terrorism'
- 10 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op