Islington leader voted best in the country
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Islington Council has been named the best in the country.
Cllr Catherine West, who has been in the town hall hotseat since 2010, beat of stiff competition to scoop the prestigious gong on Monday.
The awards were hosted by the Local Government Information Unit and the Churches, Charities and Local Authorities organisation.
Judged praised Cllr West as a “doer and a thinker”.
She said: “I’m incredibly proud to collect this award. In these tough times my priority is making Islington a fairer place - building more social housing, paying the living wage and making sure young people have the support they need to study and get on in life. “
You may also want to watch:
A second Islington award went to Cllr Joe Caluori, who won a £10,000 scholarship to fund a project promoting local government.
- 1 Harassment trial: MP Claudia Webbe 'threatened to send naked photos of victim to her kids'
- 2 Two rescued from fire in Islington maisonette block
- 3 Police cordon in place after Essex Road pub 'assault'
- 4 Petrol station forecourts closed in Islington amid warning: 'Drafting in the army will not end fuel crisis'
- 5 Petrol station forecourts closed and long queues in north London
- 6 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 7 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 8 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 9 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 10 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting