Islington leader voted best in the country
- Credit: Archant
The leader of Islington Council has been named the best in the country.
Cllr Catherine West, who has been in the town hall hotseat since 2010, beat of stiff competition to scoop the prestigious gong on Monday.
The awards were hosted by the Local Government Information Unit and the Churches, Charities and Local Authorities organisation.
Judged praised Cllr West as a “doer and a thinker”.
She said: “I’m incredibly proud to collect this award. In these tough times my priority is making Islington a fairer place - building more social housing, paying the living wage and making sure young people have the support they need to study and get on in life. “
You may also want to watch:
A second Islington award went to Cllr Joe Caluori, who won a £10,000 scholarship to fund a project promoting local government.
- 1 Arsenal Women on cloud nine after big FA Cup win
- 2 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 3 Reader letters: Islington's Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - for and against
- 4 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 5 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 6 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 7 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 8 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 9 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital