Fire damage repairs begin on Ironmonger Row Baths centre
William Mata and Holly Chant
- Credit: Sally Patterson
Gym chain GLL has started work on repairing the Ironmonger Row Baths centre after last week’s fire.
Seventy firefighters were called out to the blaze at around 10am on January 6 following reports it had sparked inside a sauna.
Nobody was injured but the damage could take time to rectify before the leisure centre can reopen.
GLL said in a joint statement with Islington Council today (January 13): “In the last week we have carefully assessed damage from the fire, and have started cleaning work.
“Our priority is to reopen the gym and pool as soon as it is safe to do so.
“The sauna and spa repairs are more complex and will take longer to complete.”
All programmes at the pool have been moved to other locations as repairs continue. GLL apologised to customers for the disruption and thanked London Fire Brigade for a “very prompt response”.
Customer memberships have been upgraded to "UK-wide" so they can use any Better gym or pool in the short term.
For updates visit www.better.org.uk/leisure-centre/london/islington/ironmonger-row-baths
- 1 'Graffiti vandal' linked with £500k worth of damage caught in Highbury
- 2 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 3 Islington: Cycle track could be back if funding found
- 4 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 5 'Fear, isolation and distress': Pentonville Prison during Covid-19
- 6 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 7 'Robot' prisoner locked up indefinitely for killing Serco custody officer
- 8 WATCH: Sauna fire rips through Old Street leisure centre
- 9 New Islington chief wants to give children 'equal opportunities'
- 10 No More Red: Arsenal and Islington campaign against knife crime