Islington mother issues heartfelt appeal for information on son’s killers
The devastated family of a murdered Islington man have issued an emotional appeal for witnesses to help trace the killers that indiscriminately gunned him down two years ago.
Cem Duzgan, 21, was shot a number of times at close range as he played a game of pool with his friends at the Clapton FC Club in Hackney on October 5 2009 and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Two men entered the venue and opened fire from the doorway in what is believed to be an indiscriminate attack, hitting Mr Duzgan who was nearest to the door. The suspects then fled the scene on foot heading in separate directions.
A substantial reward of �20,000 is still available for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of the killers.
Mr Duzgun, a Turkish man, lived with his family in Islington and worked as a sales assistant at a clothes store in Croydon.
You may also want to watch:
His mother, Ipez Duzgun, said: “Words cannot describe the void and the pain that my family has been feeling for the last two years. We are breathing but we are not living.
“We cannot sleep at night knowing that the people responsible for Cem’s murder walk freely without a care in the world. Every time I see someone who matches the description of the killers I think ‘is this him’? or ‘does he know who killed Cem’? I have lost all faith in people.
- 1 Islington Council to press ahead with people friendly streets - despite disabled pleas
- 2 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 3 Call for action after scooter filmed riding on Islington pavement
- 4 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 5 Islington eco-festival opens – but what about the Edmonton incinerator?
- 6 Clerkenwell fire: Margery Street office block blaze under investigation
- 7 Tony Blair joins celebration to mark 101 years of Highbury Catholic church
- 8 Meet Charrli - the Islington start-up facilitating zero-waste shopping
- 9 Arsenal youngsters Hennessy and Goldie selected for England under 19s
- 10 Tree wardens to be recruited on every Islington estate 'to advocate for trees'
“We plead with anyone who knows something, no matter how insignificant, to contact the police. We need justice and we need your help to get it. For all those people out there who called themselves Cem’s friends please break your silence and don’t let another family go through our pain. It is not right that a mother should have to bury her child.”
Det Insp Simon Ashwin, Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: “Cem was a hard-working young man who had been relaxing with friends when he was callously gunned down. His family and friends are devastated at his loss and are still waiting for answers as to why this happened. I believe that some people in the local community still hold significant information about what happened on that night two years ago and we urge them to contact us.”
The first suspect is described as a light-skinned black man, in his early 20s, of medium height and slim build, wearing a navy/black jacket, grey hooded top, blue jeans and white trainers.
The second is described as a black man, in his early 20s, wearing a navy hooded coat, jeans and trainers. He carried a plastic bag containing the gun.
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has any information that may assist the investigation is asked to call the incident room on 020 8785 8244. Turkish or Kurdish speakers can call a special line on 020 8785 8944. To remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.