Islington MP and councillors to hold public meeting on Gaza
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The borough’s political top brass will lead a public meeting on the conflict in Gaza next week following the deaths of more than 1,000 civilians.
Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn will be joined by campaigners and members of the public at Finsbury Park Mosque, St Thomas’s Road, on Thursday August 7.
He will also be accompanied by councillors James Murray and Claudia Webbe.
Mr Corbyn, an elected member of the Stop the War Coalition, said: “The horror of the scenes from Gaza have saddened and angered us all.
“I have been on many protests and support the call for a ceasfire and lifting of the siege of Gaza as the only viable step towards peace.
You may also want to watch:
“The worldwide protests are having an effect with many governments demanding an end to the bombing and suspending of trade and diplomatic ties with Israel. Sadly the British Government has done very little.”
“I am moved by the large numbers of e-mails and messages I have had expressing outrage at the suffering and demanding action by our Government. I hope there will be a big turnout for our meeting at Finsbury Park Mosque next week.”
- 1 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 2 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 3 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 4 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 5 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
- 6 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 7 Islington Council backtracks on promise to save mulberry tree
- 8 Obituary: 'Striking and beautiful' north London mother Mary Collins
- 9 Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall visits the Whittington Hospital
- 10 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
The meeting starts at 7pm.