Islington MP and councillors to hold public meeting on Gaza
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
The borough’s political top brass will lead a public meeting on the conflict in Gaza next week following the deaths of more than 1,000 civilians.
Islington North MP Jeremy Corbyn will be joined by campaigners and members of the public at Finsbury Park Mosque, St Thomas’s Road, on Thursday August 7.
He will also be accompanied by councillors James Murray and Claudia Webbe.
Mr Corbyn, an elected member of the Stop the War Coalition, said: “The horror of the scenes from Gaza have saddened and angered us all.
“I have been on many protests and support the call for a ceasfire and lifting of the siege of Gaza as the only viable step towards peace.
You may also want to watch:
“The worldwide protests are having an effect with many governments demanding an end to the bombing and suspending of trade and diplomatic ties with Israel. Sadly the British Government has done very little.”
“I am moved by the large numbers of e-mails and messages I have had expressing outrage at the suffering and demanding action by our Government. I hope there will be a big turnout for our meeting at Finsbury Park Mosque next week.”
- 1 'Extreme' noise complaint as 150 gather for Islington party
- 2 Statue of Philip Noel-Baker replaced in Islington after 35 years
- 3 Meet the owner of the Camden Passage shop window where nothing is for sale
- 4 What do smoking and People Friendly Streets have in common?
- 5 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 6 Islington and Camden police chief to leave Met after 29 years
- 7 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 8 Two Tube lines closed after 10pm as TfL staff isolate due to Covid
- 9 Almost 5,000 Islington people pinged by Covid app in one week
- 10 'We can do better': Islington Society calls for rethink on Barnard Park plans
The meeting starts at 7pm.