Islington MP Jeremy Corbyn joins opposition to Arsenal tower in Holloway
MP Jeremy Corbyn has added his weight to the groundswell of opposition towards Arsenal’s plans to build a massive tower block overlooking the Emirates Stadium.
The MP for Islington North this week voiced concerns after the club was granted permission to build the 25-storey skyscraper in Hornsey Road, Holloway.
Islington Council refused plans for the student development last August but that decision was overruled on October 5 after Arsenal appealed to the planning inspectorate.
Mr Corbyn said: “I am very disappointed at the inspector’s decision. It is simply too big and the priority need is for housing for desperately overcrowded families and this development is of no help to that at all.
“It is a shame because the site could have been developed in a much more imaginative and suitable way, it is an area of real potential but to stick a big block there will not enhance it at all.”
You may also want to watch:
The tower will be 78 metres tall and host 400 students bedrooms. More than 100 people had objected to the plans and residents fear it will wreck the character of their neighbourhood.
A spokesman for Islington Council said: “The council is very disappointed with the inspector’s decision, which we do not believe gives sufficient weight to the council’s policies.
- 1 'LTNs are killing us': Hundreds of Highbury traders sign petition
- 2 Doubling of Covid-19 cases in Islington sparks concern
- 3 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 4 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 5 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 6 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 7 Cult restaurant Eggslut set to open third London location
- 8 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 9 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 10 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
“We are considering the implications of the inspector’s decision.”