Islington mum of nine died from too many prescription drugs
A MOTHER of nine was found dead by her son after accidentally taking too many prescription medications, an inquest revealed.
Carole Blanks, 45, was found by Micheal Blanks, 20, on the bathroom floor at their home in Mitchison Road, Islington.
Speaking after the inquest at St Pancras Coroner’s Court on Friday<November 4>, her husband, also Micheal Blanks, 46, said: “She was in constant pain. That’s why she was on so much medication.
“She was a bit silly with it at times. Half the time she forgot she had taken it and took another lot.”
Mrs Blanks, who had six daughters and three sons, was a former architect’s technician who volunteered at New North Community School in Popham Road, Islington.
You may also want to watch:
She took prescription drugs for a number of medical conditions, including Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS), a connective tissue disorder.
Her husband, an unemployed IT engineer, said she had been given eight to 10 years to live when diagnosed with EDS in 2004.
- 1 Arsenal pub Tollington Arms listed 'to prevent it being turned into flats'
- 2 'Obscene gestures and racist abuse' made at Islington Council meeting
- 3 'No consultation': Anger Islington cricket pitch could replace park
- 4 Police search for man who exposed himself on Islington 393 bus
- 5 Disruptions to your journey by car and train around Islington and Hackney
- 6 Five times Islington has featured in films and TV series
- 7 Islington man charged with murder of shooting victim Taylor Cox
- 8 Appeal to trace missing Islington school girl, 14
- 9 Largest beer garden in North London being built for Euro 2020
- 10 Tollington Arms landlord relieved at rent moratorium extension
Coroner Dr Andrew Reid told the court heard that Mrs Blanks, who was found dead around 1am on July 30, had more prescription drugs in her system than she should have done.
He said: “The drugs found in her body at the time she died are all at levels above the therapeutic level.”
Dr Reid gave the cause of death as the combined effects of prescription drugs and recorded a verdict of misadventure.
He said: “For her various medical or clinical complaints she had been prescribed a number of medications. She sometimes over medicated or self medicated.
“The unintended consequence of her over-medicating was that she died from poly-drug toxicity.
“There’s no evidence on which I can be sure that she intended to harm herself and end her own life.”
Mr Blanks told the inquest that he did not think his wife would have killed herself, particularly as their son Micheal, who studies motor vehicle engineering, had recently returned from college for the holidays.
He said: “That was what she looked forward to. And she was always adamant she did not want to leave me in charge of the girls.”
After the inquest, her son said: “She was a good mother, a brilliant mother. We loved her a lot and she will be missed.”
His father added: “Whatever verdict they came up with is not going to change the fact that she died. We just have to get on with it.”