Islington parking permits most expensive in London
- Credit: Archant
Borough has third highest permit price in the country
Parking permits are pricier in Islington than any other London borough.
The most expensive residential permit, for vehicles over 2751cc or producing more than 265g of CO2 per km, is £444 a year – £179 more than Hackney, which has the second highest permit price in the capital.
This does not factor in the extra £95 a year residents have to pay for a parking permit for a diesel vehicle.
Islington’s highest priced permit is more than nine times the average UK permit cost and leaves the borough third behind Birmingham and Manchester in the country as a whole.
You may also want to watch:
The average permit in Islington is £149.50 but parking for electric vehicles is free.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “To help encourage motorists to use cars that produce fewer emissions, Islington charges different rates for resident parking permits depending on carbon dioxide emissions or engine size.
- 1 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street forces Moorfields Eye Hospital to close
- 2 London Assembly election 2021: Meet the north east candidates
- 3 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 4 Islington's by-election candidates confirmed
- 5 Islington reports lowest coronavirus infection rate in London
- 6 Man, 70, charged with murder of Imani Allaway-Muir
- 7 Police appeal after moped rider left seriously injured in crash
- 8 What's opening in Islington when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Islington election hopeful faces trial on intimidation, cocaine and ABH charges
- 10 Landlord of Tollington Arms - popular with Arsenal fans - faces eviction
“The very top band for vehicles that produce the most emissions is currently £444 a year, but most drivers pay much less.”