Islington parking permits most expensive in London
- Credit: Archant
Borough has third highest permit price in the country
Parking permits are pricier in Islington than any other London borough.
The most expensive residential permit, for vehicles over 2751cc or producing more than 265g of CO2 per km, is £444 a year – £179 more than Hackney, which has the second highest permit price in the capital.
This does not factor in the extra £95 a year residents have to pay for a parking permit for a diesel vehicle.
Islington’s highest priced permit is more than nine times the average UK permit cost and leaves the borough third behind Birmingham and Manchester in the country as a whole.
You may also want to watch:
The average permit in Islington is £149.50 but parking for electric vehicles is free.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “To help encourage motorists to use cars that produce fewer emissions, Islington charges different rates for resident parking permits depending on carbon dioxide emissions or engine size.
- 1 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 2 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 3 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Flooding recovery begins after evening of chaos
- 6 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 7 New Lidl to open in Finsbury Park's Arts Building next week
- 8 Arsenal complete signing of Norweigan midfielder Frida Maanum
- 9 Two men jailed for life after double murder
- 10 Emirates to reopen for Covid jabs as council looks to entice residents
“The very top band for vehicles that produce the most emissions is currently £444 a year, but most drivers pay much less.”