Islington parking permits most expensive in London
- Credit: Archant
Borough has third highest permit price in the country
Parking permits are pricier in Islington than any other London borough.
The most expensive residential permit, for vehicles over 2751cc or producing more than 265g of CO2 per km, is £444 a year – £179 more than Hackney, which has the second highest permit price in the capital.
This does not factor in the extra £95 a year residents have to pay for a parking permit for a diesel vehicle.
Islington’s highest priced permit is more than nine times the average UK permit cost and leaves the borough third behind Birmingham and Manchester in the country as a whole.
You may also want to watch:
The average permit in Islington is £149.50 but parking for electric vehicles is free.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “To help encourage motorists to use cars that produce fewer emissions, Islington charges different rates for resident parking permits depending on carbon dioxide emissions or engine size.
- 1 Jailed: Former Islington police officer raped children's home teen
- 2 Dame Alice Owen pupils protest over racist language
- 3 Revealed: Latest Covid-related death figures for Islington
- 4 'Risk of thunderstorms' in north London ahead of May 17 lockdown easing
- 5 Tributes paid to founder of Islington's Museum of Funeral History
- 6 Primary school allowed to keep floodlights despite complaints
- 7 Tollington by-election imminent as Richard Watts joins Khan's 'top team'
- 8 Six flee Finsbury Park house fire
- 9 Could Islington become a holiday destination?
- 10 Islington Council set to save Grade II-listed South Library from disrepair
“The very top band for vehicles that produce the most emissions is currently £444 a year, but most drivers pay much less.”