Islington parking permits most expensive in London
- Credit: Archant
Borough has third highest permit price in the country
Parking permits are pricier in Islington than any other London borough.
The most expensive residential permit, for vehicles over 2751cc or producing more than 265g of CO2 per km, is £444 a year – £179 more than Hackney, which has the second highest permit price in the capital.
This does not factor in the extra £95 a year residents have to pay for a parking permit for a diesel vehicle.
Islington’s highest priced permit is more than nine times the average UK permit cost and leaves the borough third behind Birmingham and Manchester in the country as a whole.
The average permit in Islington is £149.50 but parking for electric vehicles is free.
Cllr Claudia Webbe, Islington Council’s executive member for environment and transport, said: “To help encourage motorists to use cars that produce fewer emissions, Islington charges different rates for resident parking permits depending on carbon dioxide emissions or engine size.
- 1 Islington's first Amazon Fresh store opens in Angel
- 2 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 3 Reality TV star's brother ‘wasn't involved in drug-trafficking’, murder trial hears
- 4 Call to end Islamophobia in Islington at first awareness event
- 5 New Covid-19 vaccine centre opens on Holloway Road
- 6 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 7 Festive events lined up for Islington this Christmas
- 8 New nursery promises ‘outstanding childcare’ for Highbury
- 9 Meating climate commitments: are butchers on their way out?
- 10 Safety measure or danger? Two weeks to decide Liverpool Road cycleway fate
“The very top band for vehicles that produce the most emissions is currently £444 a year, but most drivers pay much less.”