Highbury performer marks World Burlesque Day with free classes
- Credit: Priscilla Silcock
A Highbury burlesque singer and dancer is giving free classes on Monday (April 26) to mark World Burlesque Day.
Priscilla Silcock, who uses the stage name Sapphira, is teaching a simple dance choreography that will be streamed along with a whole day of events online, via her Instagram page.
She hopes the classes will help “boost people’s morale” during the pandemic, and show people what burlesque, which stems from theatre and comedy, is all about.
Priscilla said: “The purpose of World Burlesque Day is to demystify this glorious art form which has given so many worldwide a self-esteem boost and to invite the public to try out this fun dance style as well as connecting the community around the globe.
"Since the lockdown, I have transitioned all my dance classes online and I have been teaching people in Islington and Italy on Zoom.
You may also want to watch:
"It gave me the idea to offer free online dance classes for World Burlesque Day so I can continue to teach in the local area when classes reopen."
- 1 Islington Council caretaker charged with rape and aggravated burglary
- 2 Islington signs deal to secure homes for Afghan refugees
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 Stunning photos show how King's Cross has changed in 20 years
- 5 Helen Anderson: CCTV appeal to trace witnesses to Finsbury Park mum's murder
- 6 Jeremy Corbyn to hold ‘alternative Cop26’ in Scotland
- 7 Highbury church St Joan of Arc marks Covid-delayed centenary
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 E-scooter rider suffers head injuries in Holloway Road crash
- 10 Essex Road Sainsbury's closed for deep cleaning after rats filmed crawling over croissants