Spotlight on Islington residents in TV documentary
- Credit: Archant
The spotlight was thrown onto Islington in a new TV documentary series about the people of the borough.
Channel 5’s The Mega Council Estate Next Door raises difficult questions by following residents in different life circumstances.
“The difference between haves and have nots is glaring,” says the narrator in the opening montage. “Nowhere is the wealth gap more striking than Islington.”
The show, which follows Islington residents as they go about their lives, draws attention to inequality in the borough while celebrating some of its most colourful characters.
It highlights the contrast between the lives of the people it features; a mother of four boys shares the bed with two of her sons because of housing issues, while a wealthier resident discusses drug dealing near his property in a converted church.
You may also want to watch:
Episode two of the series will be broadcast on September 13 at 9pm.
- 1 'Proper old Islington boozer' voted best pub by readers
- 2 Trevi Ristorante scoops prize with readers' votes
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Islington man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Man in Highbury court charged with shooting gun in High Holborn
- 5 Mem and Laz Brasserie voted as readers' favourite restaurant
- 6 Dog Olympix 2021 raises more than £700 for a water fountain in Whittington Park
- 7 Aristocrat's daughter, 25, died unexpectedly after developing 'severe headache'
- 8 Spectrum to C5: How Clive Sinclair began the UK’s tech revolution from a house in Islington
- 9 Tony Eastlake: Man denies murder of ‘flower man of Islington’
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London