Spotlight on Islington residents in TV documentary
- Credit: Archant
The spotlight was thrown onto Islington in a new TV documentary series about the people of the borough.
Channel 5’s The Mega Council Estate Next Door raises difficult questions by following residents in different life circumstances.
“The difference between haves and have nots is glaring,” says the narrator in the opening montage. “Nowhere is the wealth gap more striking than Islington.”
The show, which follows Islington residents as they go about their lives, draws attention to inequality in the borough while celebrating some of its most colourful characters.
It highlights the contrast between the lives of the people it features; a mother of four boys shares the bed with two of her sons because of housing issues, while a wealthier resident discusses drug dealing near his property in a converted church.
You may also want to watch:
Episode two of the series will be broadcast on September 13 at 9pm.
- 1 Changes made to St Peter's LTN after Packington Estate used as rat run
- 2 Islington shooting victim named
- 3 Robert Rinder awarded MBE for his work on Holocaust education
- 4 Man in hospital with potentially 'life-changing' injuries following stabbing
- 5 Missing: Highgate woman known to frequent Camden and Islington areas
- 6 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 7 Big name restaurant hints at Islington opening
- 8 Rise in London Covid rates, but people aged 25-30 can book vaccine
- 9 Murder investigation launched after teenager is shot in Islington
- 10 Woman, 48, arrested over fatal stabbing of Islington flower seller