Islington’s Bellanger reopens with renewed style
- Credit: Archant
Bellanger has returned to Islington with a newer, more casual style after closing in 2019.
Owners of the restaurant, which reopened on Friday (August 14), told this newspaper the closure was due to a lack of custom last year.
However, restaurant’s owners - founders of restaurant group Corbin and King’s, Jeremy King and Chris Corbin - decided to bring it back after more than 4,000 people responded to a survey urging it to return.
“It was with a sadness in my heart because I loved Islington and I wanted to make it work,” Jeremy said.
“We just want it to be a restaurant that not only can people come for celebrations but they can come for anything from a cup of coffee to a sandwich. That’s all we want it to be, just a neighbourhood facility.”
You may also want to watch:
After a year of contemplating, Jeremy told this newspaper he decided to bring back the French Brasserie with a renewed style because he believes the environment was too formal.
He “took a leaf out of Brasserie Zedel’s book” and transformed it into a more informal space, with the menu now being “very French and very affordable”.
- 1 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 2 Petition begins for reduction of traffic on Liverpool Road
- 3 Hundreds gather for Tony Eastlake funeral in Islington
- 4 Historic Archway site set for major housing development after land sale
- 5 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 6 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 7 GMB stops funding London Labour over Islington caretaker sacking
- 8 Letters on low traffic neighbourhoods
- 9 Police investigation criticised as officer who knelt on suspect is let off
- 10 Families of WW2 veterans join Jeremy Corbyn in presenting plaque
The decor is lighter and “very much in the brasserie tradition with murals and posters,” he said.
Jeremy hopes to make “the whole feel of the place more accessible” and said customers “have embraced the new changes”.
Bellanger is participating in the Eat Out To Help Out Scheme.