Islington’s late night booze tax moves a step closer
- Credit: Archant
A radical tax on late-night boozing moved a step closer today after the town hall launched a consultation.
The Late Night Levy is an Islington Council plan to fund the police and other services needed to deal with the borough’s rampant nighttime economy by imposing a charge on bars, restaurants and off licences who want to sell alcohol after midnight.
Islington has 1,300 licenced premises – nearly a third of which are licensed after midnight – and one in 20 deaths in the borough are linked to the bottle.
Cllr Paul Convery, Islington Council’s executive member for community safety, said: “Islington’s night-time economy has a big impact on residents, and puts extra strain on public resources.
“We’ve got more licensed late-night establishments per resident than almost anywhere else in the country. Policing, regulation and cleaning up cost a huge amount of money, and it’s fair for late-night premises to pay their share.
You may also want to watch:
“Together with our wider licensing work, the late night levy will help us to tackle problems associated with the night-time economy. If businesses don’t want to pay the levy, they can simply choose to close at midnight.”
Consultation runs until January next year - if it goes ahead, the levy would come into force half way through 2014.
- 1 Thousands of care home staff yet to be vaccinated in London
- 2 How some Islington tenants are losing their homes in a matter of minutes
- 3 Man killed in 'shooting' in north London
- 4 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 5 Finsbury Park man arrested on suspicion of second north London murder
- 6 Appeal to find four children missing from north London with father and grandmother
- 7 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Islington: Housing team failed to answer 50% of calls during lockdown
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 Sadiq Khan warns of flooding threat to Islington from climate emergency
To take part in the consultation visit www.islington.gov.uk/latenightlevy